Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Zuma Zuma Zuma!




PC Caveat: In no way was the event that I attended a political rally of any sort.
Ok with that out of the way lets talk about the random stuff that happens up here in the highlands of Africa. Rumors had been circulating all week about His Excellency President Zuma visiting my village. Why here might you say? Well due to the joint business venture “water project” between the governments of Lesotho and the Republic of South Africa I guess you could say he has some interest. With phase II of the project about to be underway what a perfect time for His Excellency to check where a good portion of his countries money is being spent. Friday was crazy. Six helicopters came in an out all day dropping of government ministers. Finally after a long while waiting in the hot sun His Excellency landed right in front of me in two South Africa choppers. It was pretty cool. President Zuma then left to go on a tour. As fate would have it we would run in together later that day at the feast. The accommodation was excellent and all the free gourmet food you could eat! I ate lunch literally less then 3 feet away from President Zuma. It was a surreal feeling because I’m sure I wouldn’t have been able to get within 10 city blocks of President Obama. After lunch I went out on the balcony to enjoy the view of the water and out walked the President. I did not want to bother him because he was giving a speech for Lesotho TV. All in all it was a very cool experience that just sort of happened. Oh and the all you can eat lunch buffet didn’t hurt! On a side not the new volunteer arrived in a village close by. He has a lot of energy and I look forward to working with him on community projects in the near future. Mozambique blog and pictures to come soon!

16 comments:

  1. My hearts and prayers are with the family. Liz Roderick, RPCV Guinea, West Africa 07-09.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you, your family, and the Lesotho PCV community.
    RPCV Benin, West Africa 08-10

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our hearts are heavy for this unspeakable loss to your family. Every current and former Peace Corps Africa volunteer and staffer will pause to reflect when they hear this terrible news. Thank you for the gift of your blog. Respectfully, Nat Treadway, RPCV, Sierra Leone, 75-79.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found Tom's blog just a short time ago and found it impressive. My condolences go out to his family and friends.

    Jesse Osmun, PCV, South Africa 2010-2012

    ReplyDelete
  5. My deepest sympathies go out to Tom's family and everyone close to him. Even though I did not know him, I feel connected in the common goal and passion he seemed to have for life, the desire to make a difference. The world will miss you.

    Tara Smith
    Peace Corps Cameroon 2007-2009

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts and prayers are with Tom's friends and especially his family. I didn't know Tom, but he is and always will be a part of the Peace Corps Lesotho family.

    Nicole Haber Potsane
    RPCV Lesotho, 2003-2005

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts and prayers are with Tom and his family. I am privileged to know and to have recruited Tom last year. I know Tom to be the most outstanding of gentlemen. He was kind, passionate, and everyone loved to be around him. I know how much he wanted to do Peace Corps and I know how amazing he was at his site. My heart aches for this terrible loss. He is certainly gone too soon. The UF PC Community sends their condolences and love. We love you Tom. We love you so.

    Amy Panikowski
    UF Peace Corps Recruiter
    RPCV Malawi, 2001-2002

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts and prayers are with Tom's friends and family at this time.
    - Derek S., RPCV, Togo

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart goes out to Tom's family and friends. Many thoughts and prayers are with you. Tom will not be forgotten.
    -Sharolyn K., RPCV Ghana 2006-2008

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sorry to hear this news. I was also recruited at UF and am so saddened. God bless you, Tom, and peace be with his family and friends.
    -Mark W., RPCV, Thailand 1986-87

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so clear from this blog that he was smart and brave and loved the country and the kids he was doing so much to help. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. The thoughts of Peace Corps volunteers around the world are with you.
    Kristen R. Kenya 2003-2005

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tom,
    I am so sad that your life has ended so young. Although we never met in person, through Parker and your blog I grew to know you and care about you. I am going to miss coming to your blog and reading about your work with the students and the Katse community. I am going to miss reading about your adventures as you explored Lesotho and Africa during your free time. I am going to miss seeing how you captured all these experiences through your pictures. I am going to miss you. I wish I had had the opportunity to meet you.

    To Tom’s parents,
    My son Parker is one of Tom’s friends in Lesotho. I have mailed a letter to your home, but until it reaches you I wanted you to know that we are thinking of you. We are deeply sorry for what has happened to Tom and your family.

    To Tom’s Peace Corps friends in Lesotho,
    We are so sorry that you have lost your good friend Tom. This has to be very difficult for all of you. I hope that you take care of yourselves and of each other.

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you all and with those who loved Tom. May he rest in peace.

    With love,
    Meredith Bryant and family

    ReplyDelete
  13. May you rest in peace, Tom. Your family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers. -Maryann Nolan, RPCV Ecuador 1999-2001

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry for the loss of your son. After reading about him it is plain to see he was a wonderful person. My heart goes out to you. We lost our son Wyatt while he was serving in the Peace Corps in Zambia. There are no words that can comfort, but I hope that the honor of who he was is a balm. -Jeannie Ammon

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry for the loss of a great person. I didn't discover this blog until I had heard of the tragedy. I am awaiting placement with the PC. The news of Tom's demise didn't deter me from my choice to serve with the PC. It actually made me more determined to serve to help those less fortunate. Rest in peace Tom! Your legacy will live on in Lesotho, Africa and Peace Corps. Pésame mucho!

    ReplyDelete