Saturday, April 25, 2009

Bon Voyage Party

I will admit the weather right now in Gainesville is beautiful. The time for sweltering heat and stagnant air is approaching, but for now it is perfect. I was able to catch about five hours of sleep after work yesterday before I had to wake up and get ready for the Bon Voyage Peace Corps BBQ at Lake Wauberg. Amy wanted everyone to bring a dish from their host country, but since I don't have one nor the time to cook I opted for a Publix sandwich platter. This idea was great because I was able to walk to chilis and have a couple libations while the sub was getting prepared. It was so nice to just be outside in the afternoon on a Saturday. Working nights has turned my complexion into shades that rivals other parts of my body (eek) so It was defininetly good to get a little sun. I arrived at Lake Wauberg around 2:15 and was greeted by about 25 RPCS and Peace Corps applicants. There was food everywhere. Thanks Sam for the leftover Mongolian horshor, was great for dinner at work. Horshor looks like an empenada filled with pork, onions, and sometime sheep innards, yum. I grabbed some food, sat down and had a conversation with a plesant woman named Anne who served in Thailand during the 60s! She had some great stories about her service and was actually a volunteer when JFK was assassinated which I thought was pretty crazy. A session followed where RPCVs answered questions from the applicants and parents. It was a fun day that was enjoyed with great friends, food and weather. I made it back home just in time to play the guitar for 15 minutes and then head to work. Right now I am sitting at my desk computer about to pass out. Only 3.5 more hours to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment